Palomar Launch Wind values are reporting correctly again!!!
Thanks to the efforts of many, the Palomar WX station mast has been rebuilt out of metal and planted deeper.
Big thank you to Chris Cote, Bob Barry, and Jeff Brown for the primary pre work & coordination efforts along with all the crew that helped get the station back to standing tall!
Wind values are under reporting until repairs can be made
Due to record setting high heat and strong NE wings this past few weeks, The Palomar Weather Station mast was bent and up rooted.
The mast is sitting at a 45 degree angle and wind values are under reporting as a result reading due to the station mast being at a from strong NE winds and high heat. Repairs will be made in the next few weeks. Wind direction is representative of true direction.
We will call a work party for the Palomar Launch in the next few weeks to work on the weather station & finish mowing areas of launch & the LZs.
Learning along the way. . . Will be planting the mast deeper and going to a metal mast as we were planning for the next installations. Big thank you to Chris Cote and Wild Bill Davis for volunteering to do the pre work-party mast metal work.
Palomar Launch Weather Station Stands Tall Dressed in Blue
The Great White Saguaro Cactus on Palomar Launch
Over the next several months we will be fine tuning this prototype installation design and raising the station mast to get cleaner air flow. Once we are comfortable with the overall System, we will be using our lessons learned to install one to two additional stations at other sites this year.
Data from the Palomar Launch station is live and is working well sofar.
About the Palomar Launch Station
Some features of this installation include: Ultrasonic wind sensor (offering higher accuracy with no moving parts calling less attention to it along with requiring less service); Lightning Strike Grounding protection; low impact & semi portable installation for relocation if required; easy serviceability without ladders or mast climbing; Ability to lower mast and have mast break away if a glider gets tangled up in it.
Summer Flying Mexican Fiesta Fly-in 2017:
July 22nd @ Palomar!
Please RSVP below
Check back to this page for updates up to day of fly-in
This will be a great event!!!
Post Flying Mexican Fiesta:
Please also bring any drinks you might want to stay hydrated during the day & BYOB for post flying fiesta.
Social committee would like some help from some volunteers to help coordinate food pickup, set up and break down. Also, if you have a Portable Table that you would be willing to bring, that would be great. Ideally, we can get these things coordinated by mid day on the Friday before the event so that everything runs as smooth as possible on Saturday.
We will need help with some to bring the following:
Please Comment below and or contact Wild Bill, Angela, Anto, or Josh G to help and coordinate on the event planning side.
Full Annual Membership or Visiting Pilot membership is valid for this event. However Visiting Pilots will not receive gate codes & must fly with Full Annual Members for access. Membership Applications (second step after payment) must be completed and submitted. Completed Memberships once submitted are updated to the current status within 5 min.
Add your RSVP:
Fly-in Rescheduled for July 22nd @ Palomar!
The Summer Fly-in will be Rescheduled from July 8th to the Alternate weather back-up date: July 22nd due to heat health advisories.
Per XC-Skies, Temps will be about the same as today on July 8th: 99 on launch & 105-107 in the LZ. ..
It does look flyable and the better pilots should be able to break through the inversion. But we fear our newer pilots will be landing out in the 105+ heat. With many people out for the fly-in, we might have some heat-related problems. Also hanging out in 100 deg heat trying to BBQ will not be all that fun.
If flying this weekend, All should be prepared for the heat and carry at least 1 gal of water for the day. Bob B & Steve R worked to clear the Palomar launch out there today/ Friday. Both Bob & Steve went through a gallon of water each and worked in shifts. One pushing the mower and the other cooling down in the car AC 10 min per shift before it started to cloud over.
Let’s hope for cooler weather on the 22nd.
Check back to this page for updates
June 15th 2017 Meeting Agenda & Notes:
Was a small meeting mostly attended by Board Members.
Site Information and Updates - Reminder for all on Site Protocols:
Palomar Main LZ Gate Update:
Main LZ access on Sunday is now available to SDHGPA Club Members along with all other days.
Call for SDHGPA Weather Station Proposals: - Approved
The Board voted unanimously to spend up to $2K per weather station and associated data plans and installation for two initial trail stations. The first trial stations are proposed to be at the Palomar Main Launch and Little Black.
Aug Update: After initial proof of concept install at Palomar, the Board decided to approve a 3rd station for installation this year under the 2017 budget and the first 3 Stations would be installed at Palomar, Horse, & Laguna as being sites that are undeserved by current weather stations and being lease susceptible to being vandalized.
Example Holfuy stations and web module samples:
Accident Awareness & Prime Season is here.
Reminder to follow USHPA Pilot Proficiency SOPs for flight condition parameters per rating level. - Midday flying should be reserved for advanced pilots only at all Mt sites off of the coast.
Recent Accident reports were also reviewed. Without getting into details for two recent accidents at our San Diego and other US sites, some things all pilots should be reminded of when flying home sites or abroad in another country:
Traditionally there is no scheduled SDHGPA Meeting in July. The Aug Meeting time slot has too many conflicts for Board Members and will be canceled. The Next Scheduled SDHGPA meeting will be in September on the 21st. Follow the SDHGPA Calendar for updates.
The entire San Felipe Valley, including the usual Banner Emergency landing areas, are closed for the summer to all use, including foot traffic, and is being actively monitored effective June 1st 2017 through Aug 31st.
What to do on a windy Blown out Day?
And before heading out to fly any other day?
For instance, Palomar is now listed as: Minimum Ratings: H3 / P3 - (M1 to Bail out LZ; M2 to Main LZ); or H2 / P2 with other higher rated pilots present, site briefing for the day, and instructor sign off.
Also as a Reminder:
If you are an Instructor or School, please also review all Site and Instruction Protocols that include all Tandem Flight at all SDHGPA Sites. Note that any and all Instruction or Tandem Flights from or to any SDHGPA Launch or Landing Zones / LZs must comply with our Site Protocols. By not doing so puts the Site, Land Owners, SDHGPA, Students, and yourself at risk and violates SDHGPA flight SOPs.
Photo Cedit: Alex Turner
HG tips from a Jedi Master that cross over to the PG side.
Spring is here and ,maybe you are getting ready to fly after a bit of a layoff. Review your take off procedure. Do you like to have a wire crew? If you need a wire crew to stabilize your glider at take off you shouldn’t be at take off. You may want help getting to the spot where you start your run. This is especially true at the Laguna cliff launch where you have to get your glider up over a hump and get your wing tips past rocky bumps. It’s good to have some help, a little insurance, to keep the glider from getting away from you as you negotiate the obstacles. But once on launch you should be able to control the glider by yourself no matter what the wind does. Why? Well, when you say “CLEAR!”, you are the only one controlling your glider. What if at that instant, or during the first step or two of your run, the wind conditions where you need help, suddenly occur? You have to control the glider on your own.
You build a weather model in your head. At launch you study the wind conditions and see that there are times when the wind is too strong, or too cross, or too blustery. Then there are nice conditions. You decide that the nice conditions last long enough for a controlled take off. So you stand at launch with help controlling the glider during the not nice conditions and wait for a nice condition. It occurs and you say “CLEAR!”. What if you space-time weather model is wrong? What if the nice condition does not last as long as your model expects? What if the wind 20 feet down the ramp is not nice, that is the spatial aspect of your model is wrong? What are you willing to risk based on the weather model you have created in your head?
If you can’t control your glider during any conditions that could occur while you are standing at launch, you should not be standing at launch. This of course also involves a model. The model says that what you will experience at launch will be no worse than what you have observed over the past period of time.
Light wind conditions pose a different problem. Suppose you need a 10 mph wind on a shallow slope launch, and that is the maximum speed of the wind. Sometimes it is less. So you wait for a good cycle and off you go. If the wind holds, you are fine. If it gets lighter, then what? Again, you are basing your decision to take off on a model you have created in your head. If the wind is light you must be able to take off in no wind conditions.
Photo Credit: Hadi - Henry Golian
The San Diego Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association