SDHGPA, (San Diego Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association), is a local chapter of USHPA, (United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association). USHPA membership is required ** and by submitting my Annual or Visiting SDHGPA Application / Renewal, by proceeding to Payment, I agree to maintain USHPA membership in good standing when flying and or participating in SDHGPA activities.
**(Non Rated Students may Join and Fly SDHGPA sites if and only if under the direct supervision of their instructors)
By proceeding to dues Payment, I also reaffirm I have read in full and agree to the USHPA Association Liability Release that extends to SDHGPA as a local chapter.
After Checkout you will be provided a link or emailed a download file to Membership Application and Waiver that must be submitted to receive valid Membership Cards and Parking Pass
International Visiting Pilots:
USHPA Membership is required in addition to your Foreign Ratings. It is best to have your IPPI Cards prior to arriving in the States.
For the full details, see International Visiting Pilots info under Membership FAQ:
SDHGPA Membership Options
If you choose not to use Online Checkout and prefer to download and snail mail in your application
(Not Recommended - takes 1 -2 months to receive cards):
Thank you for supporting your San Diego free flight community and helping to maintain and preserve our sites. People like you make it possible for us to continue supporting free flight in San Diego County.
Sincerely, San Diego Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association.
Please Note and remember:
Some of our flying sites including Palomar, Big Black and Laguna REQUIRE you carry your SDHGPA membership card along with your USHPA card for access per permits and Use Agreements with Landowners.
Vehicle ID/ Gate Pass is required to be displayed on your front driver side dash for all Palomar Launches and the Pala LZs. It is also a good idea to display this ID at all of our flying sites as a safety measure when cars are remaining at Launches or LZs at the end of the day.
Gate Codes will not be given out or shared with visiting pilots. Visiting pilots can only gain gate access with a Full Member guide present.
Some of the SDHGPA Membership Benefits for 2022:
1) Access and Preservation of 6+ SDHGPA Maintained Flying Sites
- SDHGPA serves as your point of contact for maintaining Landowner and Agency relations to help preserve and keep our sites open.
- Insurance to help preserve and protect our Landowners and Agencies at six sites: (north to south) Palomar, Big Black, Little Black (LB), Laguna, Horse Canyon and Blossom Valley
- Permit & Use fees for Members at Laguna & Big Black + Maintenance Permit for Horse.
- Portable outhouse service at Palomar LZ and Palomar Main Launch required as part of our use agreements.
- Weather Station Maintenance and data connections for 5 stations.
- Windsock Maintenance
- Other Site Maintenance
2) 2+ planned Great Fly-in Events in March and October 2022
4) Yearlong annual SDHGPA XC Contest
6) Day of flight planning and communications via SDHGPA Telegram groups
7) Social Mixers & Meeting Topics: Thermal Flying & XC Routes . . .
8) Great SDHGPA website with useful flight tools and information:
- Excellent Site Guides often benchmarked
- On line News Letter / Blog Posts – Replaces the Old emailed “The Flier”
- Member Only Web site section w/ Individual PWs
How to Stay in the Loop?
7) Follow the SDHGPA News Letter Blog or subscribe to the RSS Feed: http://www.sdhgpa.com/minutes-news--articles.html or http://www.sdhgpa.com/1/feed on your favorite RSS Web News reader.
The RSS feed delivers our SDHGPA Blog that replaced the old SDHGPA news letter. This is on our web site under the SDHGPA navigation tab.
(Telegram SDHGPA Announcements & the RSS Feed are a great options for those that chose not to use Facebook)
If you need to update your Membership information and regenerate your card information based on change of rating, Phone #, or change of ICE; email your request and information change to SDHGPA@gmail.com