- Bill Helliwell noted that essentially the entire San Felipe Valley, including the usual Banner landing area, is closed for the summer to all use, including foot traffic, and is being actively monitored. The Laguna Site Guide was updated and Notice Published regarding San Felipe Valley Summer Month Closure on June 21st.
- Reminder that Use of Palomar Launched or LZs and other listed Sites as Instruction sites that includes Tandem Flight (by definition) by any commercial operator, even from Robin's or other alternate launches, is only permitted by instructors that have registered with SDHGPA and meet all SOPs. http://www.sdhgpa.com/instruction-policies---protocol.html. A reminder and Notice was sent to Air California Adventure and its instructors on 5-2-2017 after violations of site protocols. As an USHPA Chapter, SDHGPA Flight SOPs are based on and include all USHPA SOPs, and are considered USHPA SOPs by extension. Noncompliance with those SOPs could put ratings and appointments at risk.
- In the April meeting, the Board voted and passed a motion to add Blossom back in as an additional insured site covering the Landowners and Chapter. Primary reasons are for site preservation and to cover the % of pilots the are USHPA members. This brings the Chapter to covering 6 Additional Insured Sites in addition to 62 specific managed Launch and LZ locations.
Main LZ access on Sunday is now available to SDHGPA Club Members along with all other days.
- Elsinore and several in AZ sites have installed "Holfuy" Weather Stations that look to be a fairly good Weather Station turn key solution. Holfuy includes web data hosting backbone, website modules, and phone Apps with their stations that are autonomous running on 3G / GSM network and solar power. http://holfuy.com/en/shop.php Station Specs: http://holfuy.com/en/about.php
- Jeff Brown volunteered to work on Proposal investigations and System Designs
- Weather Station Design Alternatives
- Initial costs and reoccurring costs per station and other alternatives to Holfuy stations. http://holfuy.com/en/
- Holfuy Standard 450€ ~ $500 (Controls Hub & Solar Power box)
- Davis 6410 sensor. 110€ ~$125 (Wind anemometer & vane)
- or Ultrasonic sensor 490€ ~ $500
- Humidity sensor 110€ ~ $125 (if want cloud base predictions)
- Camera 300€ ~ $340
- System Sub total for Simple Anemometer Wind only: $768.34
- System Sub total for All up with higher end options ~ $1564.72 per station
- Other costs:
- Pole & Installation costs
- SIM card & Data Plan
- Finalize Station Designs
- Dave M will ask LB Rangers if we can put one up behind launch or below the 500 on LB, otherwise we'll investigate other alternatives for a true site ind reading.
- For Palomar, we will scout placement locations at or before the July fly-in.
- Steve will seek permission for installation from the Pala Tribal Council .
Reminder to follow USHPA Pilot Proficiency SOPs for flight condition parameters per rating level. - Midday flying should be reserved for advanced pilots only at all Mt sites off of the coast.
Recent Accident reports were also reviewed. Without getting into details for two recent accidents at our San Diego and other US sites, some things all pilots should be reminded of when flying home sites or abroad in another country:
- Flying mid-day during peak heating should be reserved for advanced pilots at inland sites.
- Fly within recommended operating parameters in Site Guides/ Protocols and USHPA Pilot Proficiency System Pilot Proficiency Ratings.
- Always fly with local pilots. If they are not flying, there might be a reason.
- Seek the advice of local pilots for weather and site introductions for each day based on weather conditions.
- Seek out and join Local Clubs and utilize those clubs resources for site guides and other information available regarding sites.
- When traveling as well as at your home sites, make sure you have insurance that covers you when and where you are.
Summer fly-in 2017:
Fall Halloween fly-in at Horse Canyon is Tentatively scheduled for October 28th