- President: Steve Rohrbaugh
- VP: Jeff Brown
- Secretary: Dave M
- Treasurer/Sites Director: Bill Helliwell
- Safety Officer: Bill Davis
- Co-safety Officer: Phil W
SDHGPA Board Election Voting opens on Jan 2nd and closes Jan 14th.
Member votes will be collected by mailer e-mail Ballot Form responses to nominations slated during the Nov 16th General Meeting. Write in nominations will be accepted. Election Ballot Forms will be sent to SDHGPA 2017 Full Members and 2018 Full Members as of Jan 2nd. Each current Full Member may make one Ballot submission. All Ballot Forms must be submitted before 12 midnight Jan 14th to be counted.
Some good ideas for new locations include newish breweries in Mira Mesa with meeting rooms, veterans support orgs (VFW, AL, etc), Elks, Masons, etc. Ideal Location would be central to majority of members with trying to keep travel time in rush hour in mind.
- Phil W and Steve S and others volunteered to do some scouting
- All Members: we need your help. If you have any suggestions or ideas, Please investigate & send your ideas to SDHGPA@gmail.com
In the SDHGPA Site Guide and listing of SDHGPA managed sites, we have sites listed under the following categories:
- SDHGPA Primary Sites: These are sites that SDHGPA actively manages and works with the Landowners / Agencies with agreements in place to maintain and works on active Site Preservation for the sites in addition to providing landowners with additional insured coverage through USHPA.
- Secondary & Other San Diego Sites: These are sites that the SDHGPA does not have full control over or agreements in place to fly, but does annual Risk Assessments, Accident Investigations and is in communications with landowners / agencies. The SDHGPA works on Site Preservation for these sites and may carry additional insured coverage for Chapter activity and site preservation reasons.
- Infrequently Flown: (not maintained or recommended) These sites are not maintained as active flying sites, but the SDHGPA does annual Risk Assessments, Accident Investigations for these sites.
- Closed Private Sites: do Not Fly these sites that require specific “by invitation only” permission. The SDHGPA does not manage or maintain these sites but does provide information as requested by the land owners to indicate the sites are closed private sites, and perform annual Risk Assessments, Accident Investigations for these sites.
Blossom Status: Club voted to keep Blossom Valley in the “secondary” site category owing to lack of direct control over activities there. The Club will continue to do do site risk assessment, interface with landowner and agencies and carry Blossom as an insured site for the % of Club & USHPA members that Fly the site.
Club determined that we need a better way to retain our own safety records.
Both Chapter and USHPA Accident reporting and investigations are required per USHPA. The Chapter Accident reports and investigation information is used to update Site Guides and Chapter Site Risk Assessments required by chapters on an annual basis at a minimum. Since the inception of the USHPA ARS System, there has been confusion to what is required and our own paper accident reporting has not always been used and stored.
- We should take the existing USHPA accident form and copy it to make our own, then have victims and witnesses fill it out.
- The safety officer would then copy the info into the online USHPA form and AIRS, and keep a copy for ourselves.
- Safe flying is dependent on easy access to others’ local experiences and knowledge, especially incident reports
- include note to effect that all use by motorized aircraft is prohibited.
- Include requirements for SDHGPA membership
- Include note that only appropriately insured and permitted instructional use is allowed
- add large note that if park users see people doing probibited or disruptive things, they should call the ranger. With the number. Right under the note about powered aircraft.
Topic Discussion - Thermaling & Thermal Etiquette
The remainder of the meeting focused in on Thermaling & Thermal Etiquette. The topic loosely followed the slides available in the members only section
Section 1 – Thermals & Thermaling
Part 1 - 2. Flying Thermals & Thermaling Tips